Posioning, What parents need to know.
What you need to know
If the child has been exposed to or ingested a poison
Call Poison help at 1-800-222-1222
A poison expert is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
You may be asked for the following information:
Your name and phone number
Your Child’s name age and weight
Any medical conditions your child has
Any medicine your child is taking
The name of the item you child swallowed (read it off container and spell it)
The time you child swallowed the item (or when you found your child)
The amount you think was swallowed
If the poison is very dangerous or if your child is very young you may be told to take her/him to the nearest hospital.
If your child is not in danger the poison help staff will tell you what to do to help your child at home.
If child is unconscious, becoming drowsy, having convulsion or having trouble breathing call 911, bring the poisonous substance (safely contained) with you to the hospital.
The different Types of Poisonings,
Swallowed Poisons Any nonfood substance is a potential poison. Do not give anything by mouth or induce vomiting call the poison help right away do not delay calling but try and have the substance label or name available when you call
Fumes, Gases or Smoke Get the child into fresh air and call 911 the fire department or your local emergency number. If the child is not breathing start CPR and continue until help arrives
Skin Exposures If acid, lye, pesticide, chemicals, poisonous plants or any potentially poisonous substance comes into contact with a child’s skins, eyes or hair brush off any residue material while wearing rubber gloves, if possible. Remove contaminated clothing. Wash skin eyes or hair with large amounts of water or mild soap and water. DO NOT SCRUB. Call poison help for further advice
Information from the American Academy of Pediatrics