Washing Machine Accident is a Warning to Parents of Young Children

Spread the love

An Oregon family is devastated after a tragic accident took the life of their toddler. Tiffany Hebb was doing laundry, while her 21-month-old Ollie kept her company. When she left the room briefly, he crawled into the washing machine and drowned.

A frantic Hebb found her son minutes later trapped in the water-filled basin and tried desperately to resuscitate him. After suffering severe brain damage, he died the following day in the hospital.

“It was the worst day of my life,” the grieving mother told a local Fox affiliate through tears. Now Tiffany and her husband Chris are on a mission to educate parents about the dangers of the seemingly innocuous household appliance.

“I want to make mothers and fathers aware that it’s a possibility,” she said.

Read more: Toddler’s trauma highlights laundry room dangers

Between 2005 and 2009, two children under the age of five lost their lives in laundry room accidents, according to a report by the Consumer Product Safety Commision. In a 2003 review, two deaths and an estimated 500 other injuries to children were attributed to washing machine-related accidents. Most kids were between the ages of 1 and 2, and fell victim to a range of injuries including fractures, amputations and even drowning.

Some of potential washing machine hazards, according to the report:

Drowning after getting locked inside the machine
Injuries jumping or falling off the top of the machine
Heated water from the machine causing burns
Getting limbs caught in the motorized spinning basin

The biggest problem when the CPSC conducted their review back in 2003, is still a problem now: lack of education. The report at the time acknowledged that more public education is needed so parents can prevent these kinds of injuries. Ever the vigilant mother, Hebb spent the first year of her son’s life guarding him from every household danger she was warned about. She said she never expected the washer would be the biggest threat.

Despite improved safety functions on automatic washing machines, the best prevention from injury is keeping kids far away from the laundry room altogether. (Even if the washing machine is avoided, the scalding hot dryer can be just as dangerous.) Unfortunately many parents aren’t aware of the risks.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.